Recipe and Photo BY Maumita Paul Ghosh
“Chicken kosha”… its amongst the countless renowned Bengali recipe that never fails to amaze the taste bud. Well at-least I have never chanced upon a Bengali who doesnt enjoy Chicken kosha and I guaranty that for at-least all my Bengali readers is surely having some special memories of chicken kosha in his heart.
Still remember those lazy Sundays and Maa serving finger-licking hot velvety, juicy kosha chicken with hot steamed rice, bhaja moong dal and alu-posto and you enjoy the delicious lunch sitting with your family… those were the days….. always makes me nostalgic..
Chicken kosha is a marriage of chicken with aromatic spices and mustard oil (no miserly in oil use please :):D ) which generally coked slowly in low flame and outcome is a cavalcade of flavors and taste in the mouth. And the recipe used here came directly from Maa kitchen with no change…
- 500g chicken, curry cut
- 3 tsp ginger paste
- 2 tsp garlic paste
- 5 big onions, finely sliced
- 2 tbsp curd, whipped
- Whole garam masala (1-2 green cardamom, 1-2 cloves, 1 1inch cinnamon)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg poder
- 1 tsp garam masala powder
- 4 tsp red chilli powder
- 5 tbsp mustard oil
- salt to taste
- Wash and clean the chicken pieces. Marinated with ginger paste (1tsp), garlic paste(1tsp), curd, nutmeg powder, red chilli powder, mustard oil (1tbsp), little salt and keep aside for minimum of 2 hours.
- Heat oil in thick bottom pan, temper with crushed whole garam masala and bay leaves. when it release the aroma, add sliced onion and fry till golden brown.
- Now add the marinated chicken and cook slowly over very low flame till oil separtes out from the masala. Add little water and keep stirring till chicken is fully cooked and the gravy turns to a dark brown colour with a coating consitency. Sprinkle garam masala powder and serve hot with rice or roti.
Copyright Ranna Bati